CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 22, 2010

Not Yo Mama's Strawberry Shortcake

If you are the kind of guy or gal who can eat Strawberry Shortcake all summer long... well this is not the one you should eat all summer long. BUT it is super fantastic for special occasions when you want a big crowd pleaser!
I got the shortcake recipe here. It is the most tender and outrageously delicious shortbread, I promise. (Unless you over bake it, then you're on your own.) I want to emphasize one little thing. This recipe calls for citrus sugar. If you scroll down on the recipe it tells you how to make it. DO IT. It makes all the difference. It will make you smile at first bite!
After the shortcake is baked and cooled it's time to mound it full of sweet delicious strawberries. I sliced the berries and sprinkled them with some more of that wonderful citrus sugar.
Now for the creamy sauce layer. This comes from one of the most heavenly desserts I have ever eaten! Maybe some of you have also had it. It's Paula Deen's "Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding". You can find it here. Skip the Peppridge Farm cookies and the bananas, just make the pudding part. I thinned the pudding mixture a little by adding about 1/4 c more milk. I wanted it to be easy to spoon onto the berries.
There you go! A little of this, a little of that. Worth every calorie!




3 comments:

Remodelaholic said...

This looks totally beautiful. And just gets me excited for summer and strawberries!

Unknown said...

That looks like something I'll have to try.

Sawdust Girl said...

I love strawberry shortcake and can not wait to try this with the pudding. TFS